Tomorrow is the first meeting of a special Music Task Force created to further the development of our beloved music scene. Yes, the local governments actually care and want to help! There was an open Town Hall meeting at the Museum of Science two weeks ago and here are some of the ideas that came from it:
- A music industry portal website that aggregates all of the music sites and promotes venues with live performances
- Incentives for radio stations to promote local musicians and bands
- Try to involve the local business community so that they support local bands, i.e. Burdines commercials used local bands – the commercial was also a music video
- Create a directory specific to the local music industry similar to the Miami Production Guide
- Create a virtual forum where music industry professionals can exchange thoughts, ideas, etc.
- Have official signs outside of venues that play live music that say LIVE MUSIC
- Partner with the Greater Miami Convention & Visitor’s Bureau to create a guide of local venues that play live music to distribute at hotels
- Have live music showcases at the art galleries during monthly gallery walks
- Create a brand for Miami’s entertainment industry i.e. Austin, Live Music Capital of the World
- Create more opportunities for music industry educational seminars and panels
- Hold regular networking events
The meeting tomorrow is to discuss the best ways to move forward. Which of the above do you like? Do you have any other suggestions or recommendations? What seeds can we plant together to grow our scene to be even more awesome and amazing and fruitful for everyone??
Please leave feedback in the comments and I’ll gather them to present at the meeting.
Much love and keep on keepin’ on! We’ll be the next Seattle/Austin/etc. yet…