Time for some major news!!
1. Effective immediately, Sweat has brand new hours!! We will now be open SEVEN DAYS A WEEK from 6pm to midnight!! This should clear up any confusion as to which day we’re closed, etc etc. Stop by after work and hit us up!!
2. Our next big event is THE SWEAT STOCKING STUFFER!! It’s our annual holiday concert and sale and it’s Friday, December 22nd at Churchill’s/Sweat. We’ve got great live performances lined up by Baby Calendar, The Waterford Landing, Cleaveland Jones, The Mutiny, The Down Home Southernaires, The Fabulous Shuttle Lounge (of course) and more TBA, plus DJs Hottpants and Carmine P. Filthy, live art, multi-media entertainment and more!! If you had fun at the PLUG party, you’re sure to like this one too!! As usual, only $5 cover, AND Sweat will have a ton of merch on sale!!
3. Our new Sweat Books Book Club selection is “Perfume: The Story of a Murderer” by Patrick Suskind. This international best-seller about a monstrous man gifted with an extraordinary sense of smell is “laced with suspense, black humor, and metaphysical mystery.” It’s also been made into a film that comes out December 27th so at the meeting we’ll be able to discuss the book AND the film!! The meeting will be on Wednesday, January 17th at Sweat. Be there and be square.
4. In stock now: Vice magazine, Arthur magazine, more Munny zipper pulls, and these super-cute old-skool Super Mario Nintendo coin box banks with 8-bit keychains!! Coming soon: more Friends With You plushes!!
5. If you haven’t been yet, you gotta check out the excellent “We’ll Make A Lover of You” show at the ArtCenter/South Florida on Lincoln Road. The show is up through January 21st and we’re helping out with their official merch store that’s open during the weekends. It’s full of COOL art books, prints, limited edition toys and other great gifts!!
6. Boy do we love small businesses. Check out these 2 new ones coming up… 1) www.emergingthoughts.com – a web-based seller of nifty independent clothing designers, and 2) Rag Trade is about to launch in Miami!! Rag Trade is a funky new clothing store opening in the Design District early next year. They’re all about recycling and you’ll be able to bring in your old clothes and trade them in for new ones!! Check them out online at myspace.com/ragtradeco and join their mailing list to hear all the news about their upcoming grand opening!!
Thanks for reading!!
Lolo + the Sweat crew
THIS JUST IN: New releases and restocks from Joanna Newsom, Bob Dylan, Regina Spektor, Bobby Birdman, Psychic Ills, Os Mutantes, Sean Lennon, Les Savy Fav, Ladytron, Sigur Ros, Jay-Z, To Rococo Rot, Daft Punk, Elvis, Ghostface, Cut Copy, and more!! Plus LOADS of funky new DVDs, and stacks of great used records by U2, REM, and lots of others!!
UPCOMING EVENT GOODNESS LIKE WHAAAT:
(If your event is not in here send one email to firstname.lastname@example.org with all the info.)
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 14th: SAYONARA TOKYO perform live at Black Lipstick at The Pawn Shop. 1222 NE 2nd Ave. www.thepawnshoplounge.com
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16th @ CHURCHILL’S: Low Fidelity Productions and Slammie presents a live concert by EXENE CERVENKA AND THE ORIGINAL SINNERS!! Exene was the lead singer for legendary punk band X and this is her new band. Check them out tonight, along with Knuckel Drager, Charlie Pickett, and Hank & Chet. 5501 NE 2nd Ave. www.churchillspub.com
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16th @ STUDIO A: THE TRACHTENBURG FAMILY SLIDESHOW PLAYERS live with guests Ching Chong. Doors at 8pm, 60 NE 11th St. www.studioamiami.com
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16th @ PAWN SHOP: Pawn Shop and Creations present FILTHY GORGEOUS with remixer extraordinaire Tommie Sunshine spinning in the main room with Gregg Foreman and Gunars. In the back Boutique, Aquabooty presents The Next Generation. 1222 NE 2nd Ave. www.thepawnshoplounge.com
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 19th @ GOLD COAST ROLLER RINK: DJ Hottpants and Lolo present ROLL OUT at Rainbow Sk8!! Get your skate on or just chill to your favorite indie, 80s, disco, electro and all-around fun tracks. This week’s guest DJ is Alex Caso!! Plus: snack bar, booze bar, old-skool arcade games, neon decor, kitschy visuals, smoke machines, laser rays and good times. 8pm to midnight, $3 cover. 2604 S. Federal Hwy. Ft. Lauderdale. myspace.com/rainbowsk8tuesdays
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 22nd @ CHURCHILL’S PUB: Sweat Records presents the annual holiday SWEAT STOCKING STUFFER!! This is a huge showcase of local talent, AND a big-ass last-minute shopping sale!! Featuring live performances by The Mutiny, Cleaveland Jones, Baby Calendar, The Waterford Landing, The Down Home Southernaires, and of course The Fabulous Shuttle Lounge!! All this and DJs Hottpants (Roll Out), Carmine P. Filthy (NYC), and more. 5501 NE 2nd Ave. www.sweatrecordsmiami.com
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 31st @ STUDIO A: Spend New Years’ with the SPAM ALL-STARS!! Cover is only $10 before midnight, $15 after. 60 NE 11th St. www.studioamiami.com
SATURDAY, JANUARY 6th @ PS14: It’s the SWITCH One-Year Anniversary with Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols, plus DJs Gregg Foreman, Adam, Hottpants, Par, Doormouse, Saul, and Jenny. 28 NE 14th St. Downtown Miami.
THROUGH JANUARY 21st @ ARTCENTER/SOUTH FLORIDA: The ArtCenter/South Florida, Jonathan LeVine Gallery (NYC), Merry Karnowsky Gallery (LA) and The Shooting Gallery (San Francisco) present WE’LL MAKE A LOVER OF YOU, curated by Miami’s own Francesco LoCastro!! WMALOY is an unprecedented display of the groundbreaking work by some of the finest talent in today’s avant garde Pop Surrealist/Urban Contemporary movement. Plus, LoCastro and R.Grimes of Faction have done a painted/silk-screened backdrop so you can admire the individual pieces and/or enjoy it as a huge installation – so cool!! Sweat will be helping out with the merch, too!! Full info, artist line-up, and pics from past events at www.francescolocastro.com
FRIDAY, JANUARY 26th @ CULTURE ROOM: MASTODON live with guests CONVERGE!! Doors at 7.30pm, tickets $16 via Ticketmaster. www.cultureroom.net
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25th, 2007 @ THE CARNIVAL CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS: SIGUR ROS perform “Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do” live with the Merce Cunningham Dance Company!! www.miamipac.org
(inside Churchill’s Pub)
6pm to Midnight, 7 Days a Week
5501 NE 2nd Ave.
Miami, FL 33137
Ph: 305.758.5862 ext.5